The Sanctuary of the Spoliation, a place of discernment and reconciliation, opens in Assisi
The Sanctuary of the Spoliazione (Renunciation or Stripping) of St. Francis, which will be inaugurated in Assisi on May 20, 1917 is a new “pearl” in the religious landscape of the “Seraphic City", which will offer to the Christian community and to pilgrims another 'great opportunity', from which “they rightly can hope for spiritual and pastoral fruits,” Pope Francis writes, in a letter sent on Easter Sunday to the Bishop of Assisi, His Excellency Domenico Sorrentino.
The ceremony is part of a program of events that will begin Sunday, May 14th and end on the following Sunday, May 21st, with Mass celebrated by the Holy Father’s Secretary of State, Pietro Parolin. Starting on Sunday, the 14th and throughout the week there are several moments of prayer, study, and reflection planned to bring out the historical, symbolic and spiritual value of this place.
The birth of the new shrine, Pope Francis recalls in his letter to the Bishop of Assisi, is linked to his first pastoral visit to Assisi on October 4, 2013, when the Pontiff paused in the Room of the Spoliation in the bishop’s home. In order to highlight that "remarkable episode," Bishop Sorrentino wished to establish the shrine at the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, the ancient Cathedral of Assisi, and in those places in the Bishopric which gave home to the event. It was here that the young Francis eight centuries ago, in the judgement that saw him pitted against his father Pietro di Bernardone before Bishop Guido, made the emphatic gesture of stripping himself of all, in order to be totally for God and for his brothers and sisters. We usually remember this gesture as the "spoliation” of St. Francis.
Click here for the full schedule.
Click here to read the Pope's letter to the Bishop of Assisi.
Click here to read the pastoral letter of Bishop of Assisi.
For more information click here